Who doesn't need more energy? When is comes to the pressures of daily life, whether you have kids in tow, you are in the midst of university studying, or slogging it out on the corporate ladder, eating well and keeping your energy up is vital.
We asked inspirational blogger Samantha Hadadi from Nourished Naturally to come up with a new recipe using our Super Oat Flapjack (which is already pretty fabulous with wholegrain oats, quinoa and flaxseeds) and take it up a notch so you can make your own incredible Energy Bars that will keep that energy going for you. And look at the result - the perfect sweet treat you can feel good about!
Super Energy Bars
(Creates 10 large bars)
75g butter or coconut oil
40g nut butter of choice (we used peanut butter – can use sunflower butter for nut-free)
3 tbsp honey or brown rice syrup
1 tsp vanilla paste
¼ - ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Two handfuls nuts of choice, finely chopped (we used almonds and pecans)
Two handfuls dried strawberries, chopped
One handful raisins
6 tbsp dark chocolate chips
To coat –
100g dark chocolate, melted with 1 tbsp coconut oil
1) Preheat your oven to 180C, or 160C for fan ovens, then line a brownie tin.
2) In a saucepan, gently melt together your butter or coconut oil with the peanut butter and honey, stirring smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly – this prevents your chocolate chips from melting!
3) Tip your flapjack mix into a mixing bowl, then stir in the cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Pour over the peanut butter mixture and stir well combined and all of the ingredients are evenly coated. Fold in the nuts, strawberries, raisins and dark chocolate chips.
4) Spoon the mixture into your lined tin, pushing it very firmly down into the tin. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly golden but still soft. Cut into squares while still warm, then place in the fridge to cool.
5) In the meantime, melt together your dark chocolate and coconut oil. Once the squares are cooled, dunk each into the melted chocolate, then place back in the fridge to set before devouring!
Find this mix on our website, at Ocado or in the baking aisle in Sainsbury's.